Join us on Thursday July 9th (18 of Tir) at 8-10 pm, to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the student movement and uprising in Iran. We will gather to form a human chain, one chain in North York and another in Richmond Hill. Join us and help to create public awareness and show your solidarity with the students of Iran. We aim to hold this event in a dignified manner so that we may show to our fellow Canadians the rich culture, prestige and the good name of our Iranian community.
The details of the event are as followed:
1. The two locations of human chains will be as follow:
A. In Willowdale: Yonge Street, Between Mel Lastman Square and Steeles Ave.
B. In Richmond Hill: On Yonge Street Between HWY 16 and Elgin Mills
2. The Toronto Police are kindly helping us with this event, please cooperate fully with the police and the organizers so that this event can be carried through in a harmonious fashion and display our community’s well earned name.
3. In response to numerous noise complaints from residents of these neighborhoods, please refrain from honking your horns and tell your friends and family to refrain from honking. Instead, to show solidarity, we are asking all participants to display the victory sign (the “V” sign with two fingers of one hand) through their car windows.
4. To ensure that local residents are not inconvenienced, please refrain from blocking drive ways, plaza entrances, building entrances and traffic lights.
5. To show your support for the victims of the violence in Iran, please bring a candle. Candles will be lit after dark.
6. Also, we kindly ask you to spread the word to your friends and family who are unable to attend; they can show their support by lighting a candle in their homes and placing it in front of their windows.
7. The Organizing committee has prepared signs and placards and ask all of the participants to use the following placards:
“Change for Iran”
“Free Political Prisoners”
“Election not Selection”
“Condemn CONfessions under Torture”
“Support the Movement for Democracy in Iran”